Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
A candy lover's dream! Easy to make and delicious to eat!
- 32 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 -12 ounces chocolate chips (depending on how much chocolate you like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease, or cover with parchment paper, a 15 x 30 inch cookie sheet.
- Line pan with the crackers.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking 3 more minutes (IMPORTANT!), still stirring.
- Pour mixture over crackers.
- Place baking sheet on rack in upper third of oven.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes--if mixture starts to burn remove from oven IMMEDIATELY!
- Sprinkle right away with chocolate chips.
- Let stand 2-3 minutes and then spread melted chocolate out more evenly.
- Chill in refrigerator until set.
- When cooled thoroughly, break into ragged shapes and chunks.
- NOTE: If you're in a hurry, you can put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 5 or 10 minutes before breaking the candy into pieces.
Amazing how easy this is. I used unsalted crackers. Next time I will try finely grated nuts on top. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
The flavor of this buttercrunch reminded me of almond rocha (without the almond coating). Super easy recipe and addictingly yummy! Next time I'm going to sprinkle with finely chopped almonds. Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.
Thanks for the awesome recipe. There are a few here, but there are some little differences. Your directions were very clear and easy to follow. I used 40 saltine crackers and also added nuts on top of the melted chocolate. Thanks again!