Recipe by DiaDuit
This hearty bread is a version of soda bread, but it has oats added to it for nutrition and added taste. Serve warm with or without butter.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, plus
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk, plus
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons lemon juice or 1 1⁄4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten (or 4 tablespoons water + 4 tsp baking powder)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- Sift (or mix with electric mixer) flour, soda, salt, powder, sugar, bran in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix milk, lemon juice, melted marjarine, and eggs or egg substitute.
- Form well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients.
- Mix until dough begins to form.
- Kneed into ball either in bowl or on very lightly floured surface.
- Place dough either in greased bread pan or on greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 45- 60 minutes or until knife test comes out clean.