Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Bon Appetit, April 2005. Wonderful combination of orange and dark chocolate. Great for a tea or brunch.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 6 ounces candied orange peel, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; butter parchment.
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in chocolate and orange peel.
- Whisk buttermilk and egg in medium bowl to blend; add to dry ingredients. Stir just until incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface and knead gently just until dough comes together, about 5 turns.
- Form dough into 6 1/2-inch-diameter round, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches high. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Using sharp knife, cut 1-inch-deep, 3-inch-long slits in top of bread, forming sunburst pattern.
- Bake bread until well browned and very firm when pressed and tester inserted into center comes out clean, turning baking sheet halfway through baking, about 1 hour 10 minutes total.
- Transfer bread to rack and cool completely, at least 3 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and store at room temperature.).