Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Gourmet magazine, this sounds really good.
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3⁄4 lb pork loin, boneless
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 slices gingerroot, 1/8-inch thick
- 3 star anise
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb soba noodles, dried
- 1⁄2 lb bok choy
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl stir together hoisin, sugar, five-spice powder, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- In a small glass baking dish brush pork with hoisin mixture and roast in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in center registers 160.
- Let pork stand on a cutting board 15 minutes.
- Cut pork crosswise into thin slices and halve slices diagonally.
- In a large saucepan skim any fat from surface of broth and bring broth to a boil with gingerroot, star anise, garlic, and remaining tablespoon soy sauce.
- Remove pan from heat and steep broth, covered, 30 minutes.
- Pour broth through a sieve into another large saucepan.
- While broth is steeping, in a 5-quart kettle bring 3 1/2 quarts salted water to a boil and add noodles.
- When water returns to boil add 1 cup cold water and bring to boil again.
- Repeat procedure and simmer noodles 5 minutes, or until just tender.
- In a colander drain noodles and rinse under cold water.
- Drain noodles well and divide among 4 large soup bowls.
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Cut bok choy crosswise into 3/4-inch slices and add to broth.
- Simmer mixture 2 minutes, or until bok choy is crisp-tender.
- Divide pork, bok choy, and broth among bowls.