Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was looking for an interesting salad to go with some Asian marinated fish skewers and this was wonderful. When I made it I skipped the salad greens and bean sprouts (the grocery stores were totally out of bean sprouts!!!) and served the Asian tuna skewers on the salad -- delish! If following the WW flex plan this is 6 points per serving (without the grilled tuna). Recipe source: Great Cooking Every Day.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth or 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2⁄3 cup snow peas, sliced
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- To make the dressing combine broth (or water), vinegar, 2 teaspoons of the soy sauce, shallots, mustard and garlic in a small bowl or jar. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the oil and the chives. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat the remaining oil (1 teaspoon) over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender (3-5 minutes) and season with remaining soy sauce (1 1/2 teaspoons). Remove from heat and let cool while preparing noodles.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Rinse again.
- In a large salad bowl toss the noodles with the sesame oil.
- Add mushrooms, scallions, bean sprouts, carrot and snow peas. Add dressing and toss.
- ***See note in description.***Arrange salad greens on plates and top with noodle salad and then garnish with the pickled ginger and sesame seeds.
I am sorry to say that our family did not really care for this. It seems rather bland. It was a very nice looking dish though. I think the addition of peanuts to the salad would help. Also Soba Noodles cook very quickly so be careful not to overcook them. I omitted the mushrooms and did not serve mine on the greens.