Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great sweet and sour summer recipe. Replace beef with more vegetables. Suggestions: * burdock root (gobo) * lotus root (renkon) * bamboo shoots * spinach * mushrooms * napa cabbage * bok choy * bean sprouts * onion * green onion for garnish * tofu (Eating Well, Spring 2003)
- 3 tablespoons mirin (Asian sweetened rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed green tea or 3 tablespoons black tea
- 2 tablespoons clear rice vinegar or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 (12 ounce) sirloin steaks, trimmed
- 4 ounces soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
- 1 cup carrot, finely shredded or julienned
- 4 cups mesclun or 4 cups salad greens
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Whisk mirin and ginger in a small bowl.
- Place steak in a shallow baking dish or pie pan. Pour mirin mixture over the steak; turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 min or up to 2 hrs, turning occasionally.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for noodles.
- Make Sesame-Soy Dressing by whisking soy sauce, tea, vinegar, canola oil, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook noodles in the boiling water until just tender, about 6 minute. Drain; rinse under cold water. Transfer noodles to a large bowl.
- Add carrot and 1/3 cup of Sesame-Soy Dressing. Toss to coat.
- Prepare a grill. Lightly oil the grill rack by use tongs to rub it with an oil-soaked paper towel. Grill steak for 4 to 6 min per side for medium-rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. (Alternatively, brush a little canola oil over a skillet or ridged grill pan, preferably cast-iron, and heat over high heat. Add steak and cook for 4 to 6 min per side.).
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain.
- Build the salad on 4 plates with about 1 cup of mixed greens, 1/4 of noodle mixture, then 1/4 of steak slices.
- Whisk the remaining dressing. Drizzle about 4 tsp over each salad. (Don't drown salad. It has a lot of flavor.).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.