Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A Lovely Citrusy Cake!
SOAKED ORANGE SPONGE
- 6 large eggs
- 180 g sugar
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 30 g cornflour
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 60 g sugar
- 25 ml water
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of (if you want it more orangy substitute the lemon for a small orange)
FILLING and TOPPING
- 80 ml orange curd (recipe follows at end of cake recipe)
- 250 ml cream, lightly whipped
- crystallized orange slices (look pretty for a garnish)
- 3 ounces caster sugar (superfine)
- 1 large orange (grated rind and juice)
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- Grease or spray and baseline a 20cm round or square tin.
- Preheat oven to 190c (375f).
- ---------For the Sponge-------------.
- Place eggs,sugar,lemon and orange rinds in a bowl over simmering water.
- Whisk with an electric whiskfor about 8 minutes til the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Remove from the heat.
- Sift together the flours and fold in to the egg and sugar mixture along with the melted butter.
- Pour into pre-pared cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or til well risen.
- ---------------For the Syrup------------------.
- Place syrup ingredients in apan and heat gently til sugar dissoles.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon syrup over the cooked sponge and leave to cool in tin til cool.
- Turn cake out and split into 3 layers carefully.
- Beat the orange curd and fold in the whipped cream.
- reserve a third and use the rest tofill the cake and also the sides and top.
- Spoon the reserved mixture and place in a piping bag and pipe rossettes on top of the cake and decorated with the crystallised fruit.
- ----------The Cake----------.
- Place rind and sugar in a bowl.
- In another whisk lemon juice together with the eggs,then pour this mixture over the sugar.
- Add the butter in little peices and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Stir frequently til thickened about 20 minutes.
- leave to cool.
- Store in fridge if not using for cake straight away.