1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Norahs Girl's Note:
A Lovely Citrusy Cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
SOAKED ORANGE SPONGE
- 6 large eggs
- 180 g sugar
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 30 g cornflour
- 30 g butter, melted
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 60 g sugar
- 25 ml water
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of (if you want it more orangy substitute the lemon for a small orange)
FILLING and TOPPING
- 80 ml orange curd (recipe follows at end of cake recipe)
- 250 ml cream, lightly whipped
- crystallized orange slices (look pretty for a garnish)
- 1Grease or spray and baseline a 20cm round or square tin.
- 2Preheat oven to 190c (375f).
- 3---------For the Sponge-------------.
- 4Place eggs,sugar,lemon and orange rinds in a bowl over simmering water.
- 5Whisk with an electric whiskfor about 8 minutes til the mixture is pale and creamy.
- 6Remove from the heat.
- 7Sift together the flours and fold in to the egg and sugar mixture along with the melted butter.
- 8Pour into pre-pared cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or til well risen.
- 9---------------For the Syrup------------------.
- 10Place syrup ingredients in apan and heat gently til sugar dissoles.
- 11Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 12Spoon syrup over the cooked sponge and leave to cool in tin til cool.
- 13Turn cake out and split into 3 layers carefully.
- 15Beat the orange curd and fold in the whipped cream.
- 16reserve a third and use the rest tofill the cake and also the sides and top.
- 17Spoon the reserved mixture and place in a piping bag and pipe rossettes on top of the cake and decorated with the crystallised fruit.
- 18----------The Cake----------.
- 19Place rind and sugar in a bowl.
- 20In another whisk lemon juice together with the eggs,then pour this mixture over the sugar.
- 21Add the butter in little peices and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- 22Stir frequently til thickened about 20 minutes.
- 23leave to cool.
- 24Store in fridge if not using for cake straight away.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soaked Orange Sponge
Serving Size: 1 (1590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3984.9
- Calories from Fat 1711
- Total Fat 190.1 g
- Saturated Fat 106.7 g
- Cholesterol 1957.0 mg
- Sodium 883.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 506.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 352.4 g
- Protein 76.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, rind of
lemons, rind of