1/1 Photo of So Yummy Grilled Bananas With Caramel Sauce and Crema Mexicana
I found this in the LA Times Food Section years ago, and adapted it for a crowd. We make these when we go camping and we're sick of S'mores. We just bring a bunch of bananas and the components we prepared ahead of time and make them until we can't eat any more. Don't be tempted to use store bought caramel; home made sauce really makes a diference, and it's quick and easy to make. IMPORTANT: When you go to the store, you DO NOT want the Crema Agria - that's like sour cream. Crema Mexicana is like Creme Fraiche and tastes sweet, like heavy whipping cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 bananas, that are nice and yellow,no spots,but not green either
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (more if you like)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Mexican crema
- 1Make caramel:.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, then add brown sugar and whipping cream
- 3Simmer over medium heat and stir occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- 4Sauce is ready when it is golden brown; it will thicken as it cools.
- 5Cool completely, then pour into a container (I use one of those squeeze bottles to take with our camping stuff).
- 6It's OK to keep at room temp, but I would put in fridge if you want to keep longer than a couple of days.
- 7Prepare bananas:.
- 8Combine sugar and cinnamon.
- 9Slice each banana in half lengthwise.
- 10Roll each banana half in cinnamon sugar, until completely coated.
- 11Grill coated bananas over hot coals (ideally, you will grill them after dinner, when the coals are nicely glowing; we don't want a raging fire here).
- 12Grill bananas until the sugar begins to carmelize, but be careful; don't let them burn.
- 13To serve, put two banana halves on a plate, drizzle with caramel sauce and serve with a dollop of crema Mexicana.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for So Yummy Grilled Bananas With Caramel Sauce and Crema Mexicana
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.8
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 42.0 mg
- Sodium 55.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 66.1 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: