Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this in the LA Times Food Section years ago, and adapted it for a crowd. We make these when we go camping and we're sick of S'mores. We just bring a bunch of bananas and the components we prepared ahead of time and make them until we can't eat any more. Don't be tempted to use store bought caramel; home made sauce really makes a diference, and it's quick and easy to make. IMPORTANT: When you go to the store, you DO NOT want the Crema Agria - that's like sour cream. Crema Mexicana is like Creme Fraiche and tastes sweet, like heavy whipping cream.
- Make caramel:.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, then add brown sugar and whipping cream
- Simmer over medium heat and stir occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- Sauce is ready when it is golden brown; it will thicken as it cools.
- Cool completely, then pour into a container (I use one of those squeeze bottles to take with our camping stuff).
- It's OK to keep at room temp, but I would put in fridge if you want to keep longer than a couple of days.
- Prepare bananas:.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Slice each banana in half lengthwise.
- Roll each banana half in cinnamon sugar, until completely coated.
- Grill coated bananas over hot coals (ideally, you will grill them after dinner, when the coals are nicely glowing; we don't want a raging fire here).
- Grill bananas until the sugar begins to carmelize, but be careful; don't let them burn.
- To serve, put two banana halves on a plate, drizzle with caramel sauce and serve with a dollop of crema Mexicana.
I am always looking for great recipes to cook on my Big Green Egg and this was a hit with the Egg Heads!!!! We are cooking this at the Eggfest in OKC. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. Anyone reading this should know that whipped cream works well too.
these are really yummy, i'm unsure what mexican crema (in australia) so made some whipped cream and it was beautiful... so glad i live on the banana coast!
This is very easy and delicious dessert. I made it using homemade whipped cream instead of the Crema Mexicana, and it was absolutely wonderful.