Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Take a little bit longer than other lasagna recipes....but oh so worth it!
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat in frying pan until browned.
- Drain all liquid.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and wine.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 3/4 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Soak lasagna sheets in hot salted water for about 20-30 minutes
- Drain noodles.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange 4 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
- Spread with one third of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers, rwice to make 3 layers.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, and bake an additional 30 minutes.