Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
The title of this recipe came because it may be a little bit of trouble to make, but is so worth it! My mother used to make this cake for me every year for my birthday because it was my favorite cake. She just made it for me on a recent trip home, and it reminded me that this would be a great recipe to post. It makes a rich and creamy cake that is to die for (the frosting is on the sweet side, which adds to its richness). It you need faster or easier, you may use a packaged white frosting in a pinch (or if you prefer less richness), and then follow directions for adding coconut. The cooking time does not include baking the cake mix (that will depend on what the directions on the box call for).
- 1 (18 ounce) boxduncan hines moist deluxe butter recipe cake mix (or any yellow cake mix)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 -7 cups shredded coconut
- Cake: Make cake as directed on cake mix box, using two round cake pans.
- Allow to cool. Combine cake layers.
- Frosting: Combine first 5 ingredients in top of double broiler saucepan.
- Beat at low speed with electric mixer about 3 seconds or until blended.
- Place over boiling water.
- Heat at high speed for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute or until frosting is thick enough to spread.
- Spread immediately on cooled cake.
- Gently pat coconut onto frosting with your hands until cake is completely covered with coconut.