Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
I learned this recipe long ago from someone somewhere at a party. It is simple and fast to make. Delicious to eat and usually goes so fast I need to make a spare. edited: Reviewers are finding this a sweet concoction which suprises them. This is a sweet and savory dip. The seafood cocktail sauce is the sweet mixed in with the crab and the cream cheese. You may add in more horse radish to tone down the sweet in the store bought cocktail sauce or make your own to your taste.
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces seafood cocktail sauce (or make your own for less swweetness)
- 16 ounces crabmeat (can use imitation)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, crushed fine
- cracker (I use Triscuit, use any sturdy cracker)
- Spread and smooth out cream cheese onto plate (dinner size).
- Shred crabmeat with fork.
- Blend garlic into cocktail sauce and then into crab meat.
- Spread over cream cheese.
- Chill in fridge at least 20 minutes (can be made a day ahead if needed).
- Garnish with scallions or chives.
- Serve with a smile and napkins.
I halved this recipe and used canned crabmeat. I had along with whole wheat Ritz crackers. I have to say I did not enjoy this recipe at all. It was REALLY sweet. All I could taste was the cocktail sauce. It overpowered the crab and the cream cheese. I couldn't even taste the garlic. I ended up throwing it in the garbage. I won't be making this again. Maybe someone else would like it, but it didn't suit my tastes at all, and I like just about anything that doesn't run away from me. Also, it doesn't say what to do with the garlic in the recipe. I added it to the cocktail sauce, Sorry Chef :( Made for Newest Zaar Stars Tag Game. Linda
We thought it would be good but it was really sweet and the ingredients didn't go well together. The directions were vague as to what to do with the crab. Do you spread it over the cream cheese then top with the cocktail sauce, or do you mix it in with the cocktail sauce and garlic. I mixed it in with the sauce like the picture shows. Did not work for us.
Ok, I am a little late reviewing this. We had a gathering in VA a couple weeks ago and I threw this together as a last minute choice. Overall was a winner. I actually found it to be a perfect balanace. I asked family what they thought of it and it was a true hit. Thanks Connie for a great recipe !