Recipe by Bitsie
Nothing like it. Grew up eating this steak so for me it is a comfort food. I always use a heavy cast iron frying pan to cook this recipe. Portions aren't huge so if you are big meat eaters you may want adjust the portion size.
- 16 ounces round steaks, cutlet mallet tenderized
- 1 cup flour (may need more)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly scrambled
- 1 (12 ounce) canflat beer
- 1 tablespoon adolph meat tenderizer (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut steak into 4 servings.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder on both sides of steak to taste.
- Put steak onto waxed paper that is floured.
- Then"pound the heck out of the steak with meat mallet or stiff fingers, working from the center out, until it reaches 1/8 inch thick.
- Flip several times and repeat pounding.
- Mix eggs, beer, 1 teaspoon salt and Adolph's meat tenderizer in a shallow bowl.
- Add enough flour to make a thin, watery batter.
- Beat mixture smooth.
- Dip meat into batter.
- "Flop"back onto floured wax paper and cover with more flour.
- Pound again with finger tips until moisture is absorbed.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cook in deep fat at 350°F until golden brown.
- Make sure oil is hot enough or you could lose some of the batter.
- (Sprinkle a little flour in hot oil and if it sizzles the oil is ready to fry).
- Serve with French fries and cover with white gravy.