3 hrs 30 mins
I love bread and these are my most requested rolls. They are a must for Thanksgiving. Nothing makes better left over turkey sandwiches. They take effort and time but are so worth it in my humble opinion. I got this from my ex mother in law who got it from a friend and so on and so on....ha ha. My current mother in law made these and they didn't turn out because she made the mistake of adding more flour "to be bread dough consistency" Big no no. This is an extremely soft dough which is why they are so tender...and good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan melt shortening.
- 2Add sugar, salt, and cornmeal to melted shortening.
- 3Pour in milk and mix until smooth with a wire whisk.
- 4Cook until thickened. (will resemble porridge).
- 5Remove from stove and let cool to lukewarm.
- 6Meanwhile dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 7When cornmeal mixture is almost lukewarm (I cheat and put it in the fridge saucepan and all on a hot pad) add 2 eggs beaten to the yeast water and mix well.
- 8Add the egg/yeast mixture to the cornmeal mixture which is still in the saucepan.
- 9Scrape all into a large mixing bowl and add 4 cups flour mixing after each cup. I do this by hand with a large spoon as it is so sticky you will leave most of it on your beaters using a mixer.
- 10Cover and put in a warm place to double in size.
- 11Once doubled, place on a heavily floured surface and gently roll it to cover all dough until manageable and not sticky. Do not knead.
- 12Now roll about 1" thick. Cut into rolls and place in lightly greased pans. Cover and let raise until double again.
- 13Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Will be lightly golden on top.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for So Soft Cornmeal Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.3
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.7 mg
- Sodium 316.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g