Recipe by Happy Harry #2
This is a recipe that everyone can make no matter how little experience you may have.......AND.......it's good enough for company! It came about because I did not have all the ingredients on hand for what I had made in the past. To my delight, it was just as good as my old recipe. Please don't get put aside by the amount of directions....I just broke them down alot.
Top Review by AllergyGirl
The chicken was very moist, and the recipe was easy to make. However, we found the flavor to be somewhat bland. The apples would perhaps be a better combination with pork, or a type of meat with more flavor, to showcase the meat itself.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half, length-wise
- 3 lbs chicken parts (if using only breasts, leave skin on)
- 3 apples, peeled, core removed (medium large)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup apple cider (no apple juice, too sweet) or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup brandy (no apple juice, too sweet)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and oil in skillet with garlic pieces. Bring heat up slowly so that garlic does not burn. Cover skillet and remove from heat allowing garlic to flavor oil.
- Clean chicken parts removing any visible fat and skin. Pat dry, season with salt and pepper.
- Remove garlic from oil and bring up the heat on skillet.
- Saute chicken in batches to just golden brown all over (further cooking takes place in oven). Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While chicken browns, chop apples to small dice. Spread apples evenly over bottom of casserole dish.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place in one layer over apples.
- Remove skillet from heat and deglaze with cider or brandy. Correct seasonings to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over chicken.
- Cover casserole and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- I love serving this with red cabbage and small boiled potatoes. Yummy!