Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Had this at a potluck picnic and it was wonderful. I sought out the woman who made it and got the recipe. The secret is to drain it before serving so it isn't swimming in dressing. Serve with tortilla chips. I use cider vinegar but feel free to use white, red, raspberry or any other flavor of your choice. Can sizes are given for the current commonly available sizes in the US. Adjust ingredients for your taste. Times do not include marinate or draining time.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (flavor of your choice)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (7 ounce) can white shoepeg corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- In small saucepan, combine oil, sugar and vinegar.
- Heat and boil 1 minute and then cool completely.
- In large bowl, combine beans, peas, corn, peppers and onions.
- Pour vinegar mixture over bean/pepper mixture and mix to thoroughly coat.
- Cover and marinate overnight.
- Drain for 2-3 hours before serving.
This was perfect for a potluck lunch in 90 degree weather. I served it with some chips and crackers and we really liked it. It was a bit on the sweet side for us, so I have to admit to making one change the second time around that now makes it one of our favorite snacks. Just before draining the dressing, I stir in about a cup of good salsa. I let the whole mixture drain and it not only cuts the sweetness a bit, it also gives it a bit of zing. Ducky, Thanks so much for posting this, as it sits in my fridge right now, I know it'll be a summer favorite!
This was super! I had fresh Hatch peppers on hand so I threw in some of those & also a generous dose of cilantro. One helping remained after the Labor Day potluck & I ate that for a bedtime snack ;-)
I just prepared this to serve this evening and to give to a friend to take on her 4th of July holiday with family at the lake. Needless to say it did not sit overnight. I taste tested and I have to say - I LOVE THIS STUFF! Great recipe! I included a tablespoon of mango balsamic vinegar and cilantro - but this didn't make that much difference. I doubled thinking I wouldn't have enough to keep some for myself - Wow this makes a lot! Not certain if I will drain at this point. I plan on serving this on top of my salad - that really sounds good to me!