Recipe by YummySmellsca
Adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, these are like dense, chewy bites of all the best bits of carrot cake! The nuts are optional - I often leave them out (or add toasted sunflower seeds instead!).
Top Review by Tuscany Springs
I love these cookies, they are full of good healthy stuff!<br/>The one thing I changed is the baking time. They didn't look done enough in the time specified in the recipe so after the 5 minutes on the top rack I added 20 more minutes on the lower rack for a total of 35 minutes.
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened almond milk, warmed
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup demerara sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup tightly packed fine-shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup large-flake oats
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup dried kasha
- 1⁄3 cup diced candied ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- 1⁄2 cup gogi berries, soaked in hot water and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat together the "milk", flax, oils, maple syrup, sugars, fresh ginger and vanilla. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and sea salt.
- Stir into the above mixture, then fold in the carrots, oats, coconut, nuts (if using), candied ginger, raisins and gogi berries.
- Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line three baking sheets with parchment. Flatten into thick discs with the palm of your hand.
- Form fairly large balls of dough and place onto the sheets 2" apart.
- Bake 5 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, then move to the bottom rack and back 10 minutes longer.
- Cool completely on the sheets.