Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, these are like dense, chewy bites of all the best bits of carrot cake! The nuts are optional - I often leave them out (or add toasted sunflower seeds instead!).
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened almond milk, warmed
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup demerara sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup tightly packed fine-shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup large-flake oats
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup dried kasha
- 1⁄3 cup diced candied ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- 1⁄2 cup gogi berries, soaked in hot water and drained
- In a large bowl, beat together the "milk", flax, oils, maple syrup, sugars, fresh ginger and vanilla. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and sea salt.
- Stir into the above mixture, then fold in the carrots, oats, coconut, nuts (if using), candied ginger, raisins and gogi berries.
- Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line three baking sheets with parchment. Flatten into thick discs with the palm of your hand.
- Form fairly large balls of dough and place onto the sheets 2" apart.
- Bake 5 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, then move to the bottom rack and back 10 minutes longer.
- Cool completely on the sheets.
I love these cookies, they are full of good healthy stuff!<br/>The one thing I changed is the baking time. They didn't look done enough in the time specified in the recipe so after the 5 minutes on the top rack I added 20 more minutes on the lower rack for a total of 35 minutes.