Recipe by Mimi in Maine
You can get these ready a little ahead of time and then grill them on your outside grill or at your camp site over the fire. You can also do them in a hot oven. You will have to hollow the bread out some to make room for the meat and cheese filling. This is fun to make if a gang shows up unexpectedly and you need a hearty sandwich for a hearty appetite. You can use any kind of meat or cheese of your choice, or you can combine meats.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or white)
- 8 ounces loaf unsliced French bread
- 6 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 4 -6 ounces thinly sliced lean pastrami
- 2 plum tomatoes (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the basil, oil, and vinegar in a bowl; set aside.
- Slice bread in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, hollow out the bottom half, leaving a 1/2" thick shell.
- In the shell, layer half the cheese, all the pastrami, all the tomatoes.
- Top with basil mixture and sprinkle the pepper.
- Top with remaining cheese and put bread on top.
- Wrap in heavy foil.
- Put this on a grill over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
- To serve cut crosswise into 4-6 slices.
- You could do this in a hot oven still turning every 5 minutes.