I have adopted this recipe from Mean Chef. This is one of my favorite recipes. The pork is sweet, succulent and falling apart tender. Fabulous served alone, on rolls, in tortillas.
- 1 whole pork butt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1⁄4 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
Molasses Barbecue Sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup chopped plum tomato
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons pitted dates, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- For rub: mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- For sauce: Combine in nonreactive saucepan, bring to boil and simmer until it reduces to 1 1/2 cups.
- For pork: Rub pork with rub.
- Place in Plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Take out pork and re-rub.
- Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Roast on rack uncovered in oven at 250-275 degrees until falling apart tender.
- It will take 7-8 hours, the internal temperature of the pork when done should be between 195 and 200 degrees.
- Pull pork into pieces, toss with sauce.
- Serve with extra sauce (If you prefer, the pork can be served with Pig Pickin Sauce (#31020)).