Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This started as a recipe from friends, using instant coffee. They insisted that the quality of the final product is not affected by the quality of the vodka used. After switching to fresh coffee and "perfecting" the process, I learned that kahlua is a rum based liqueur. I have yet to make a batch with rum. **Update... September 13, 2006 -- I have made a batch with rum, and find it even smoother than making it with vodka.
- 6 cups coffee (48 oz total)
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄8 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄8 cup real vanilla extract (accept no substitute)
- 750 ml of cheapest 80 proof vodka (one "fifth") or 750 ml rum (one "fifth")
- Mix coffee, sugar and chocolate in a saucepan. Over medium high heat, bring mix to a boil, making sure to dissolve all of the sugar into the liquid.
- Then reduce to medium low or low heat… simmer, just below a boil.
- Periodically raise heat long enough for the mix to boil, then reduce heat. Stir frequently, making sure to loosen all sediment, especially in the "corners" of your pan. I start at thirty minutes and let the intervals between stirring become shorter as the cooking process lengthens. Towards the end, remember that a watched pot never boils over, and with as much sugar as this mix has, that's a good thing.
- Reduce liquid level until bubbles do not want to break when raised to a boil. Droplets falling off spoon should be like thick syrup. The mix should be reduced by approximately 50% from its original level in your pan.
- Remove from heat.
- About a half hour later and before liquid cools completely, add vanilla to mix.
- After liquid has cooled, roughly another half hour later, add vodka and mix to an even consistency. I have found that a whisk works best.
- You should yield about 1½ liters, just short of filling a ½-gallon liquor bottle.
EXCELLENT! best kahlua my family has EVER tasted! i made it with rum, and it really does make that very important dfifference!
I will never buy Kahlua again...but I'll skip the Momma slapping lol.
This certainly is a delicious beverage! I admit that I was a little worried as my kahlua cooled and began to crystallize into a block of semi-solid coffee flavoured sugar crystals. However, when I whisked in the rum, the sugar began to dissolve right into it. A couple of days in the cupboard, and it's smooth as can be. Tasting it tonight, my confidence is restored! Thanks for this - I'm off to slap my momma as we speak!! :)