Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my dad's recipe straight from the N.O. He adapted it to my busy lifestyle. I only cook with organic foods but if you dont have access to them or dont want to pay the extra money this recipe will still be phenomenal! Add as much cayenne as you like, I prefer mine on the milder side.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (cut into 2-inch strips)
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 lbs andouille sausages (cut into 1/4 pieces. Note ( smoked sausage works just as well)
- 2⁄3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1⁄2 cup dried parsley flakes
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic or 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Place frozen shrimp in collander with plate underneath and allow to thaw in refrigerator 8-10 hours.
- After shrimp have thawed rinse shrimp thoroughly with cool water
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat, cook chicken until brown.
- Remove chicken from pot leaving the remaining oil
- Add sweet onions, green onions, bell peppers, garlic, and parsley to pot and saute' until onions are cooked (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add sausage, shrimp, chicken, rice, broth, salt, and cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Continue cooking uncovered over medium heat until most of the broth is absorbed by the rice(about 20 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer.
- DO NOT lift lid for at least 1.5 hours (the longer the simmer the better).
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
Absolutely one of the best jambalayas I have ever had. Sorry I couldn't get the andouille sausage in time, because I am sure that it would have taken the dish that little extra that says, "mighty fine eating, yes sir, mighty fine." Of course, everybody thought that anyway. 5-star and two thumbs up, Shealicious. Thnx for posting. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.
Right after Hurricane Katrina, my church was housing about 50 people from N.O. I made a huge pot of Jambalaya for them one night using this recipe. Everyone loved it very much. Nearly everyone raved about it.