Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Better than any restaurant soup.
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package Knorr french onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon good quality Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices toasted French bread
- 6 ounces shredded swiss provolone cheese mix
- Prepare onion soup mix according to directions. (There will be small dehydrated onions in the soup--just ignore them).
- While soup is simmering, heat butter and oil in sauté pan.
- Sauté onion until just tender.
- Remove onion and add to soup base.
- Add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer approx 20 minutes allowing time for soup base to reduce and infuse flavours.
- Pour into small oven proof bowls or ramekins.
- Place toasted french bread on top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
This was a nice way to dress up powdered onion soup mix. I used Golden Onion soup mix instead of French (pulled it out of the cupboard by mistake!) and it was still tasty.