Prep 2 mins
Cook 2 mins
Warm the milk in the microwave before using for the sauce --- for the ease of this recipe you will be surprised at how good this is! :)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup milk, warmed
- Tabasco sauce (to taste or a pinch of cayenne)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use up to 2 cups)
- ground black pepper (optional and to taste)
- In a large microwave-safe bowl (I use my 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup) microwave the butter for 30 seconds on HIGH.
- Add in the warmed cream or milk, Tabasco and flour; whisk vigorously until completely combined.
- Add in the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH for about 2 minutes removing a few times during cooking to stir.
- Cook until the cheese has melted and the mixture is thick.
- If desired season with ground black pepper to taste.
I was impressed with this. I always have issues trying to make cheese sauce on the stovetop and thought I would just try this instead. It worked out great and I put it on top of some oven potatoes. It was a little grainy for me but it might have been because i did not have a wisk, i used a fork. I will try this again!!
I love being able to make sauces in the microwave... what could be easier?! This cheese sauce was excellent. I was fresh out of half and half and had to use skim milk (I was a little worried about how this would effect the sauce :^/ ). Other than having to microwave it a little longer (about 4 minutes instead of 2) it came out great! I served it over baked potatoes with broccoli for a wonderful side dish with our barbecue chicken tonight! Thanks for a great ~ and easy ~ recipe!
This is the greatest cheese sauce! I like to put it on baked potatoes, steamed veggies, I even put add some salsa for a quick appetizer, or a busy day. Fantastic recipe Kitten.