1/4 Photos of So Easy and Tasty Apple Streusel
"Crisp fall apples, tossed in cinnamon and baked with delicious streusel. Almost as good as pie, with half the calories and it's in the oven in 10 minutes! Plus, it can be served warm with ice cream, and the smaller size means it won't be there to tempt you later. Enough for a small mini casserole dish that will serve 3-4 people. Double the recipe for an 8x8 pan, quadruple it for a 9x13 pan". Unless you double the batch and use a bigger pan, in which case, it's a great breakfast topping for oatmeal! Enjoy! Adapted from Penzey's spices and the intro is what they said about the recipe. A little history: In baking and pastry making, the term streusel (a German word meaning "something scattered or sprinkled", from the verb streuen, akin to the English verb 'strew') refers to a crumb topping of butter, flour, and white sugar (traditional German) that is baked on top of muffins, breads, and cakes (e.g. Streuselkuchen). Some modern recipes add various spices and occasionally chopped nutmeats. Although the topping is of German origin, it is sometimes referred to as Danish or Swedish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large fall apples (Cortland or McIntosh are both great)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Grease the bottom only of a small (4 cups or so) casserole dish. Peel and core the apples, slice and place in a bowl. Top with sugar, cinnamon and vanilla, toss to coat. Set aside while preparing topping.
- 3Make the streusel by cutting the cold butter into a bowl, adding flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if using. Rub it through your fingers until the streusel is a coarse, sandy/pebbly texture.
- 4Put the seasoned apples into the pan, top generously with the streusel, and bake at 350° about 30 minutes, or until the streusel is golden brown and the apple is starting to bubble up through the topping.
- 5Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for So Easy and Tasty Apple Streusel
Serving Size: 1 (960 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 546.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 138.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 78.7 g
- Protein 2.9 g