Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
From Southern Favorites magazine. These waffles will always bring my daughter for a breakfast visit, they are the only ones that my family wants now.
- 295.73 ml rolled oats (not instant)
- 118.29 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml plain cornmeal
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 236.59 ml milk
- 88.74 ml melted butter
- PREHEAT waffle iron to medium.
- IN A LARGE BOWL, combine oats, flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, cream, milk and butter, stirring to combine. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- POUR approximately 1 cup batter onto hot waffle iron. Bake until waffles cease to steam, approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on waffle iron; these waffles crisp up quickly.
- SERVE with maple syrup, yogurt, and fresh fruit on the side, if desired. I like sweetened ricotta and fresh fruit on top with the syrup.
Great waffle recipe!!! I made this as written, except making 1/2 of the amount. The first waffle I made was still very soft and flimsy when I tried to remove it from the iron, but, once out of the iron, it crisped right up! I added close to 1/2 of a cup of the batter the first time, it totally overflowed my iron, which makes 2 waffles the size of the Eggo Brand Frozen waffles, so next I added about 1/4 cup of the batter with much better results. Loved the crispy texture and the nice sweet flavor, but not sure that I cared for the texture of the added oats or cornmeal? Thanks for sharing your recipes!!! Made for Spring PAC 2014.