Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Winter comfort food at it's best! Feeds a crowd.
Make and share this Snowy Night Short Rib Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs boneless beef short ribs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms, halved (or white button mushrooms)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- Toss cut short ribs with flour in plastic freezer bag in batches. Heat oil in large Dutch oven until hot, but not smoking.
- Cook short ribs in batches until well-browned over medium heat, about 8 minutes per batch. Remove short ribs to platter. Discard all but approximately 2 tablespoons fat in bottom of pot. Saute onions in fat until golden over medium heat. Add wine to pot and cook over medium heat, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Return short ribs to pot and add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 2 hours, or until shorts are tender.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, and sage. Cover and simmer over low heat an additional 35-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard rosemary sprigs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes or rice.
The flavor of this stew was outstanding. I didn't have any mushrooms but really didn't miss them. I added corn, peas, carrots, and celery. this is a real keeper! Thanks for sharing your great recipe.