1/1 Photo of Snowy Day White Chili
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I am a fan of Junior League Cookbooks. This one is from Jr. League Celebration Cookbook. Don't forget the fresh cilantro--it makes the dish! To make this dish quicker and easier substitute 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans. (1 pound dried = 6 cups cooked/1 can = 1/1/2 cups)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried great northern beans (if using canned beans, change recipe appropriately) or 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans (if using canned beans, change recipe appropriately)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 6 cups chicken broth (reserved from cooking chicken)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream (for garnish)
- salsa (for garnish)
- chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1Pick through beans and rinse them.
- 2Soak beans according to package directions; drain well.
- 3Place chicken in large Dutch oven and cover with boiling water.
- 4Simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- 5Drain and let cool.
- 6Cut the chicken into cubes.
- 7Saute onions in hot oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 8Add the garlic, chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Add the beans and broth; bring to a boil.
- 10Reduce heat and simmer (stirring occasionally) 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 11Add the chicken and cheese.
- 12Cook, stirring constantly, until the chili is thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.
- 13Season with salt and black pepper.
- 14Serve immediately with selection of garnishes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Snowy Day White Chili
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.2
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 92.5 mg
- Sodium 819.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 50.6 g