Recipe by Sharlene~W
I am a fan of Junior League Cookbooks. This one is from Jr. League Celebration Cookbook. Don't forget the fresh cilantro--it makes the dish! To make this dish quicker and easier substitute 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans. (1 pound dried = 6 cups cooked/1 can = 1/1/2 cups)
Top Review by LizAnn
This was pretty good. My family voted to give it four stars. The only thing I did different was use a whole chicken so we had more meat. Also we added avocado to the toppings. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 lb dried great northern beans (if using canned beans, change recipe appropriately) or 4 (15 ounce) cans white beans (if using canned beans, change recipe appropriately)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 6 cups chicken broth (reserved from cooking chicken)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream (for garnish)
- salsa (for garnish)
- chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick through beans and rinse them.
- Soak beans according to package directions; drain well.
- Place chicken in large Dutch oven and cover with boiling water.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and let cool.
- Cut the chicken into cubes.
- Saute onions in hot oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer (stirring occasionally) 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Add the chicken and cheese.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the chili is thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately with selection of garnishes.