Snowshoe Rabbit with Applejack
- Roll serving pieces in flour or shake in paper bag and saute in fat or lard in skillet or electric skillet, turning often, until browned (about 15 minutes on medium heat).
- Add remaining ingredients, save the mushrooms and butter, cover, and simmer for 1-1-1/2 hours.
- After an hour saute the mushrooms in the butter for 5 minutes, then add them to the skillet.
- Timing instructions cannot be exact, so you must test the biggest pieces of hare from time to time.
- If sauce thickens too much, add more white wine; if after, say, 1-1/2 hours it is not thick enough, make a paste of one tablespoon flour and liquid and stir into sauce.