Recipe by Aroostook
A winter favorite!
Top Review by Mother-of-five
Excellent recipe....My husband started hunting this year and I had a few rabbits in the freezer. The gravy/sauce is great on mashed potatoes. I didn't have thyme so used dill...went great with the sour cream. All five kids gave it a thumbs up!!
- 2 snowshoe hares or 2 rabbits, each cut into 7 pieces
- seasoned flour, for dredging
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin, clean and cut into pieces the rabbit[s].
- Dredge with seasoned flour.
- Melt the bacon drippings in a skillet or oven proof casserole and saute the rabbit until brown.
- Cover with the onion slices, sprinkle on the seasonings, add one cup water and one c.
- sour cream.
- Cover and simmer very gently or slow bake in a 300 F oven for an hour.