Recipe by justcallmetoni
After buying barley malt for one dish, started looking for others that would use this somewhat unusual ingredient. If you don't have barley malt, you could substitute rice syrup, but you will loose a bit of flavor. The original recipes comes from www.wholefoodsmarket.com, but this submission includes my tweaks.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup fine unsweetened coconut
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal, coarsely ground in a blender
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup rice syrup
- 1⁄4 cup barley malt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, coconut, ground oatmeal, soda and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Blend oil, rice syrup and barley malt together in a small bowl. Add egg, vanilla and almond extract.
- Combine liquid ingredients with flour mixture. Batter will be stiff.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Press cookies with a fork to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Bake for 12–14 minutes or until bottoms are golden.