Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
I got this recipe from BHG's Holiday Cooking magazine. I made this yesterday and it is a totally "organic" experience if you know what I mean. Time consuming, yes, but if you like coconut cream pie, this one was worth it to me. Chill time not included in cook time.
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white Creme de Cacao
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces white chocolate baking squares
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- toasted coconut, curls (optional)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon white Creme de Cacao
- Combine 2 cups flaked coconut, graham cracker crumbs, and melted butter.
- Press onto the bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 mintues.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, add milk and 1 cup flaked coconut.
- Heat until simmering, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, and flour.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until combined.
- Gradually add 1 cup of hot milk mixture to egg mixture.
- Add egg mixture to remaining mixture in saucepan.
- Cook and stir until boiling.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons creme de cacao and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cover surface with clear plastic wrap; cool.
- Cook and stir white chocolate and 1 tablespoon cream over low heat until melted.
- Spread onto the bottom and sides of pie crust.
- Chill until chocolate is firm.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Cover and chill for 2-4 hours.
- Just before ready to serve, in a chilled bowl, beat 2 cups of whipping cream, powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon creme de cacao until stiff peaks form.
- Swirl whipped cream over chilled filling (If pie isn't served all at once, top only pieces to be served; chill remaining whipped cream and pie separately).
- Cover; chill for 30 minutes.
- To serve garnish with coconut curls.
- Coconut curls: carefully draw a vegetable peeler across the meat of an opened coconut.
- To toast, spread in a single-layer in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until light golden brown; stir once or twice so coconut doesn't burn.