Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great icing, makes enough for two gingerbread houses or about four cakes! I love this at the holidays, easily reduced as well, or store the icing for the next cake you make!
- Combine water and Meringue Powder.
- Whip at high speed until peaks form.
- Add four cups sugar, one cup at a time, beating after eash addition at low speed.
- alternately add shortening and remainder of sugar.
- add salt and flavourings.
- beat at low speed until smooth.
this is a very good crusting buttercream recipe. i used it for my wedding cake. i did have a few changes to the ingredients though -- decreased the meringue powder to 2 tablespoons and added 4 tablespoons of cornstarch, also i increased the clear vanilla to 1 1/2 teaspoons; for the salt, i used popcorn salt. overall though, i would give this recipe 5 stars!