Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is like a fruity rice pudding. Not sure exactly where it got the name though. Tastes great and really simple to make. Note that the chill time is not included in the cook time.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh strawberries or 2 cups fruit
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped cream
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, optional
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Slice strawberries.
- Bring water, sugar, lemon and salt to a boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Uncover and stir and cool.
- Sprinkle fruit with sugar.
- Let stand.
- Drain fruit, measuring 1/4 cup juice.
- Add to rice along with fruit and nuts, if desired.
- Fold whipped cream into fruit and rice mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2- 3 hours.
I found that this pudding turned out a little bit watery...not all the water was absorbed by the minute rice originally, so I didn't add any juice from the strawberries. It took longer than 2 hours to chill, and was much better after cooling than at room temperature. I used light cool whip instead of whipped cream. Slicing the strawberries into tinier pieces would be useful to better stay on the spoons!! Great dessert though!
Mysterygirl, this is a fantastic company dessert!! Too late in the season for fresh strawberries, so I used peaches, I think almost any fruit or berry would work well. I toasted the almonds and instead of putting them in, I sprinkled them on top, looked great. Very impressive served in a wine glass with peach slices over the edge and the toasted almonds on top. It would be even more impressive with fresh strawberries, oh well, next year. Unlike any other rice pudding i've ever made,sumptious!!!and quick too. Thanks for sharing.