Recipe by kjorgen45
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. Simply Potatoes - traditional mashed potatoes piled on top of a open faced grilled turkey hot dog with a topping of cheese and a hidden serving of spinach and onion underneath the snow (mashed potatoes). This recipe is a favorite of my grandchildren, is simple to make and is a meal in one - protein, vegetable, dairy and simply filling!
- 4 large turkey hot dogs, split lengthwise
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 cups prepared Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup of shredded mild cheddar cheese (can vary the type of cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- - Grill on an outdoor grill (best) or bake on a baking tray the open faced turkey dogs for 5-10 minutes.
- - Prepare according to package directions, enough mashed potatoes to equal 2 cups or 1/2 cup per hot dog.
- - Using paper towels, rinse and dry the spinach thoroughly and saute in butter both the onions and spinach for about 2 minutes.
- - Spoon a portion of the spinach and onions on top of each of the cooked turkey dogs.
- - Spoon the fluffy potatoes on top on the spinach (hiding the spinach under the snow/potatoes).
- - Sprinkle each mountain of potatoes with a portion of the shredded cheese.
- Spray some cooking spray on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- One turkey dog is plenty for children, but adults may want a second!