Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I first made these when my girls were small. Just something a little different. Use your own chocolate sauce recipe if you prefer. For adults you can add in some of your favourite liqueur to the sauce.
- 4 egg whites
- 8 ounces sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 125 g milk chocolate (or more) or 125 g dark chocolate (or more)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- chopped nuts, to serve (optional)
- ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Beat the egg whites until frothy, then very slowly add in the sugar, a little at a time while continuing to beat.
- Keep beating until all the sugar is absorbed.
- Have ready a bowl of very hot water and two tablespoons.
- On stove top have a deep frypan of simmering water. (Not boiling).
- Dip the two spoons into the bowl of water then into the meringue mixture and shape into large eggs between the two spoons.
- Carefully slide the eggs into the simmering water.
- Poach 1 1/2 to 2minutes, then carefully turn over and poach for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the snow eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and drain on a clean tea towel or paper towels.
- When they have cooled, place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Melt the chocolate in a pan over simmering water or carefully in microwave.
- Stir in cream to get the consistency you like.
- To Serve:.
- Place the snow eggs into individual serving dishes, top with lots of chocolate sauce and a dollop of whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired. Also nice with a scoop of ice cream under the snow eggs.
- Do not let the water boil when poaching the eggs as they will break up. Also make bigger eggs than you think they need be as they tend to shrink a little on poaching.
Very very interesting. I wasnt sure how this was going to work, kinda thought it woud be a flop since I never seen egg whites cooked like this... The whole time my friend was over my sholder saying "how on earth it this going to turn into a dessert? there is NO WAY these will turn into egg shapes"...... but I knew if it did work it would look awesome. Well it worked and it was AWESOME!!!! I felt like a culinary champ presenting these bad boys! These are so cool! I didnt use choclate sauce, just some ice cream topping I had on hand. Great dessert!