Recipe by Steve P.
Tasty rhubarb crumb squares with a pretty topping of white meringue. Yield will depend on how big you make the bars. Large bars are a nice dessert small squares on the other hand can adorn a holiday cookie tray.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml oatmeal, uncooked
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, packed
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 236.59 ml water
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 946.36 ml rhubarb
- 99.22 g ground almonds
- 127.57 g sugar
- 4 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and butter until crumbly.
- Press 1/2 into greased 9-inch square pan.
- Add rhubarb, cut in 1/2-inch pieces.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla; cook till thick and clear.
- Pour sauce over rhubarb.
- Top with other half crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and raise oven temperature to 450°F.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Slowly add 4 1/2 ounces of sugar and continue to beat until it's thick and creamy.
- Fold the ground almonds into the egg whites.
- Distribute the egg white mixture over the baked and still hot rhubarb cake and bake at 450°F 10 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned.