Adapted from "Simply Classic," by the Seattle Junior League. The Snoqualmie refers to many aspects in the area - it's a town, a river, beautiful waterfalls, and a local native American tribe.
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tart apples, in 1 inch pieces (Granny Smiths are good)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Put rice in a bowl and rinse under running water for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Pour rice into a large saucepan, add the water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes or until rice is just tender and al dente (how long to simmer, exactly, depends on your wild rice; the water will probably not be all absorbed).
- Drain and place in a large bowl, then add the prepared apple, red bell pepper, currants (raisins can be substituted, but will be sweeter and salad won't taste the same - currants are preferred), pecans, and onion; stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the balsamic, oil, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and stir well.
- Serve immediately or chill up to 4 hours (I prefer it chilled for at least an hour, then tossed again before serving).
- Note: also good with 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
I made this for Thanksgiving this year and it was wonderful. Everyone loved it. This will be a regular on my menu especially in the summer.
This salad is very yummy! The nutty flavour of the wild rice is complemented nicely by the sweetness of the currants and apples and the bell pepper adds a lovely fresh touch. The only thing Id make different next time is that Id grate half of the apples to add more moisture to the quite dry wild rice. Other than that a really great recipe! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing it with us, Julesong! Made and reviewed for An Apple A Day Tag Game Octobre 09.
I just had this Monday night at my friends house~ AMAZING! Love it! Thank you for posting! :)