Recipe by 925053
Fabulous, nutrient-rich recipe from Veganomicon. I made a few changes/substitutions to the recipe though; yet it still turned out absolutely delectable!
Top Review by HEATHER H.
I made this tonight, but followed the recipe from the cookbook almost perfectly. I used less chili powder because of some reviews on the PPK site. I also omitted the bell pepper (like you did), can't stand it. I did include the 3 tbls maple and 1 tbls mustard and it added a good flavor. I will probably add more garlic next time (double it like you did).
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.
- About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in water (small amount) for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more.
- Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, and oregano, and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you can't wait.