Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
An heirloom recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. This can be steamed either in the oven at about 250F or on the stovetop.
- Wash fruit and place in kettle with cloves, whole cinnamon, and ginger root.
- Cover with water and cook until nearly tender.
- Add sugar and cook until tender.
- If fresh fruit is used, pare, slice and core and cook with spices and a little water until tender.
- Mix bread crumbs, suet, brown sugar and eggs; add flour sifted with cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
- Shape into a ball and place on a plate in a large kettle.
- Pour in fruit, cover and steam for three hours.
- Serve hot with fruit.