1/2 Photos of Snifferific Snickerdoodles With High Altitude Adjustments
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
My favorite of several recipes I have on hand; this one consistently turns out light, chewy, and crunchy - all at the same time! Prep time includes chilling in fridge prior to baking. Take a look at the last step to see High Altitude adjustments.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream shortening with 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- 2Add eggs; stirring until combined.
- 3Reserving 2 T sugar and cinnamon, mix (or sift) all the other dry ingredients together.
- 4Add 1/2 cup of dry mixture at a time to wet mixture, stirring until combined.
- 5Form into balls the size of walnuts (it is easier to make the balls before chilling so they stay together, if you do it after, they tend to crumble more and take more time to "coax" together).
- 6Mix 2 T sugar and cinnamon together in a small coffee mug. Drop the balls into the mug and swirl around to coat.
- 7Refrigerate to chill dough for about an hour.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°F (High Altitude = 410°F).
- 9Place coated balls 2" apart on ungreased flat stone (or cookie sheet).
- 10Bake 10-12 minutes on a stone (8-10 on a traditional pan). Remove from the oven while they are puffed up and cracked on the top.
- 11Allow to cool (they will fall a bit here) before transferring to a cooling rack.
- 12High Altitude Adjustments: -1T shortening, -1 1/2 T sugar, +1/2 t water, +5 1/2 t flour, -1/8 t baking soda, +10°F on original temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Snifferific Snickerdoodles With High Altitude Adjustments
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.2
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.5 mg
- Sodium 107.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 2.0 g