Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
Chocolatier Magazine 1997 recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 16 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups unsalted peanuts
Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
Chocolate Ganache Layer
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven 350°. Place rack centre of oven.
- Combine the flour and sugar well, cut in the chilled butter until it looks like coarse meal, add egg yolks one at a time, combining each well. Add ice water as needed to make a stiff come away from the bowl sides dough. Wrap with saran and flatten and chill for one hour until firm enough to roll out. Roll on floured board to a 15-inch circle then place in a 10-inch springform pan. Lifting and pressing into place but not stretching along bottom and up sides of pan. Trim excess off top.
- Chill while preparing the filling.
- Filling: Beat the eggs in a large mixer bowl at low speed until well blended. Gradually add in the granulatd sugar in a stream while beating. Add the syrup and melted butter and keep beating until blended.
- Peanut layer: Place the peanuts evenly in the bottom of the chilled crust. Pour half the filling over top and let set for 10 minutes. Top with the remaining filling easily pouring and making sure all peanuts are covered.
- Bake 35 minutes and then cover with foil.
- Continue to bake for another 30 minutes to 45 minutes -- until the sides are set but the centre is still slightly jiggily.
- Remove from oven and let cool one hour on a wire rack.
- Now after the one hour or so spread the peanut butter over top working from the edges to centre ever so gently.
- Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Spoon carmel sauce over the peanut butter covering it completely.
- Refrigerate until set one hour or so.
- Make chocolate ganache:.
- Place chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- In a saucepot place cream and warm just to a light simmer.
- Pour cream over chocolate and stir from centre to edge combining so it melts. Cover the surface of the chocolate and chill for an hour until its a spreadable consistency.
- Using a spatula spread the ganache over the caramel.
- Refrigerate to set.
- To cut dip a large knife in hot water and wipe clean, after every slice.