Recipe by chef FIFI
Easy way to make gourmet looking and tasting caramel apples.
Top Review by hepcat1
These tasted soooo yummy! Granny smith's are definitely the perfect apple for these. It was my first time making caramel apples (since I was a kid, anyway), and it was so fun! My kids loved it, and it was such a great way to hang out with the family. I had a heck of a time finding craft sticks (too lazy to run to Michael's), and didn't realize that this time of the year they come inside the bag of caramels - nice!! The caramel REALLY sticks to the wax paper; I wish I'd taken ceashel's advice and sprinkled sugar on it first. My mom said that rubbing butter on the wax paper works well, too. I will also let the chocolate firm up a bit after dipping the apple in it; rolling it in the snickers immediately after dipping made a big mess! But the taste was so yummy! I ran half of these over to my neighbors to enjoy, too, and they loved them. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
- 6 granny smith apples
- 2 bags soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (11 ounce) bagdove promises milk chocolate candies, unwrapped
- 1 (13 ounce) bag Snickers miniature candy bars, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 wooden craft sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash apples and dry thoroughly.
- Stick the wooden sticks into the bottom of each apple.
- Combine the caramels and water in a large glass container (approximately large enough to hold 4 cups) for 1-2 minutes in the microwave.
- Stir occasionally until smooth.
- Layer the bottom of a large cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Dip each apple in caramel mixture and ensure it is thoroughly coated, rolling it in the mixture.
- Place on waxed paper and refrigerate for 10 minutes or until set.
- Chop snickers up into medium to small bits, and spread out on waxed paper.
- Place milk chocolates in the microwave for about 15 seconds to melt.
- Stir until smooth.
- Dip apples into the chocolate (may dip half or the whole apple).
- Roll apple in the snickers bits.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- *Can substitute M&M's, peanuts, coconut, mini chocolate chips etc. for the snickers