I first sampled this salad at a chili cook-off - perfect! This is a real hit at fall parties. I like to use a mix of green and red apples.
- 6 (2 1/4 ounce) Snickers candy bars, chill and chop
- 6 apples, cored and chopped into bite sized pieces (Granny Smith and or or Red Delicious)
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (5 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding (NO milk, use dry mix, DO NOT prepare!) or 1 (5 ounce) box butterscotch pudding mix (NO milk, use dry mix, DO NOT prepare!)
Garnish for extra flair
- 1⁄2 cup caramel ice cream topping (optional) or 1⁄2 cup caramel apple dip (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts, can also sprinkled on top (optional)
- Mix cool whip and dry pudding mix together.
- Chop apples and chilled Snickers.
- Mix together.
- Heat caramel sauce a bit in the microwave- just enough to drizzle, not enough to heat up salad.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over salad and sprinkle peanuts on top.
- Chill for at least an hour-- Voila!
The trick to this one is this: I used 1/2 box vanilla and 1/2 box butterscotch pudding, it gives the salad a better balanced flavor. Add a "splash" of half-and-half to thin the pudding and cool whip some, it will still thicken...but makes mixing easier when adding to the apples. Granny smiths are really the best to provide the tart taste of apples against the sweet of the caramel.
This apple salad is so good! I had made a similar one before, but that recipe didn't call for vanilla pudding to be mixed with the Cool Whip. This recipe is definitely better! I used French Vanilla instant pudding because that is my favorite. I only used 4 apples as mine were really large. I photographed the salad to post here, but unfortunately it is not very photogenic (but it still tastes good). I will definitely make this recipe again!
Yummy! This took me back a few years, my aunt would make this for family gatherings. Very tasty and easy to make.