Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Everyone I know loves these cookies. I took a batch to a party once and disappeared within 30 min. with people asking for more. I especially like the cinnamon and sugar. I must admit, it is not my creation; I got it from the Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Next, in a large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and blend well.
- Add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt, and mix well.
- Mix 2 Tbsp sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon in small bowl.
- Shape the dough into balls (approx 1-inch or whatever your preference) and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 7 to 9 minutes or until set.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.
I wanted to make some Snickerdoodles, and first used another recipe (not from 'Zaar!)--they were awful & I ended up throwing them out. Then I found this recipe--they were exactly what I was looking for - a little crispy on the outside, but soft & cakey on the inside. Because we like a lot of cinnamon flavor, I added about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the dough. If you're looking for the perfect snickerdoodles, look no further...these are indeed the BEST! Thanks for posting, Jo! -M :-)
I halved it, which was a bad idea. lol
Believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever eaten a Snickerdoodle cookie. I have heard of them and have read the recipe a number of times but always thought it sounded kind of boring. Well today I wanted to make cookies but did not have chocolate chips or raisins in the house so I thought of this recipe. They just came out of the oven and I must say I am stunned at how good they are. YUM! I can hardly wait until the kids get home from school to try these. Thanks for the great recipe Jo, I am thrilled with these!