Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Makes 12 dozen yummy old fashioned cookies! Great for a bake sale.
- 2 cups shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix shortening, sugar and eggs thoroughly.
- Stir together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Blend flour mixture into the shortening mixture.
- Form in balls.
- Roll in mixture of 2 tbsp. sugar and cinnamon.
- Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Makes about 12 dozen cookies.
Terrific and oh so easy! I made three batches for two Christmas parties and one cookie exchange. Possible error in the recipe - the recipe said 4 TABLEspoons cream of tartar. That didn't look right to me, so I used TEAspoons instead, and it came out perfect. I used butter rather than shortening. Extra rich and delicious. Also, I made a much larger batch of cin/sugar and put it in a large bowl. My husband would roll several balls, toss them in the big bowl, and shake the bowl. Then, using a large slotted spoon, I lifted them out of the bowl. It kept my hands much cleaner.
I just made these and they came out great. The modifications I made were that I used one less cup of flour and one less tablespoon of cream of tartar. 9 minutes baking time worked best.