My aunt Sis used to work summers as a cook for a California Division of Forestry firefighting crew. These were one of their favorites (and mine!)
- Cream shortening, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and eggs.
- Sift flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt together and add to sugar mixture.
- Mix together 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into balls the size of small walnuts and roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Place two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400°F for ten minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cookies will puff up, then flatten out with crinkled tops.