Recipe by MaryMc
My aunt Sis used to work summers as a cook for a California Division of Forestry firefighting crew. These were one of their favorites (and mine!)
Top Review by lauralie41
Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies and this is a great recipe. I did use butter flavored Crisco sticks and they worked nicely for these cookies. Easy to make and fun to roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Will put this in my favorites cookbook! Thank you MaryMc for sharing your aunt Sis's recipe with us. Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef 2009.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, 1-1/2 cups sugar, and eggs.
- Sift flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt together and add to sugar mixture.
- Mix together 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into balls the size of small walnuts and roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Place two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400°F for ten minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cookies will puff up, then flatten out with crinkled tops.