Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
for a Mocha version: add 2 tsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tsp hot water. When cookies are cooled dip in melted chocolate.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Stir in the eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended.
- In a small bowl stir together the 2 Tbs sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls, then roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar. Place the onto an unprepared cookie sheet, two inches apart.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Edges should be slightly brown. Remove from sheets to cool on wire racks.