Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A Christmas cookie with a cracked top. My Grandma used to make these every Christmas and now I make it for my girls.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- mix together shortening, sugar, and eggs.
- sift together the rest and stir into the shortening mix.
- chill dough until easy to handle. then roll into balls about the size of walnuts.
- roll balls in a mix of 2 tbs. sugar and 4 teaspoons cinnamon.
- place about 2" apart on cookie sheet.
- bake until lightly brown but still soft.
- the cookies will puff up at first then flatten out with crinkled tops.
- bake 8-10 minutes at 400.