Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
I love these cookies! They are slightly crisp on the outside and so soft and tender on the inside. These are my dad's favorite cookies- I made them for him often. This recipe uses both shortening and butter.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugar together.
- Add eggs and beat just until mixed.
- Add flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt and mix well.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in cinnamon and sugar.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheets for 2-4 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Store covered in a plastic bag or container.
This is probably the best snickerddodle recipe that I have tried. Exactly the way that I like them, crunchy on the outside and soft in the midle.
We have been making these for years... they are delicious! I'm so glad I found my recipe and din't have to input it. Thanks!
Really great recipe! I made it almost exactly as written, but I was short on granulated sugar, so I subbed brown (loosely packed) for about 1/2 the sugar in the cookies and reserved a bit of proper granulated for rolling them. I only needed 1/8 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon for rolling.
Made 1-1/2" balls and baked them for 10 minutes. Awesome stuff.