A great scone for kids and adults!! Taste just like snickerdoodle cookies. Perfect for a luncheon or tea.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine sour cream and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt in another bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine egg with sour cream mixture. Add cinnamon.
- Gently stir into flour mixture until moisted.
- Place on baking sheet and pat into a 3/4 inch thick circle.
- Cut into 8 wedge shaped pieces. Move slightly so they are not touching.
- Dust with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
This turned out to be one big, bad snickerdoodle. Instead of scoring the dough before baking, I placed the entire disk in a preheated 10" cast iron pan, baked it then sliced into 8 pieces. Much easier. Substituted whole milk plain yogurt for sour cream. For the topping, I used raw sugar because the crystals are larger and prettier. Reviewed for the Oma Challenge for Germany/Benelux for the ZWT.
Yummy! I added a powdered sugar glaze right out of the oven and they soaked it up, making them even more moist. Definitely a keeper.
My favorite scone ever and I'll be making these again and again. They were delicious with butter and especially with a drizzle of honey. I love that scones are super easy anyway, but the sour cream baking soda mixture made them lighter and just a delight! Made for ZWT 6 by a fellow Looney Spooner! Thanks Charmie!!!